Paul McCartney, Gene Simmons, Krist Novoselic, Buell Neidlinger
By Gary Graff
March 30, 2018
* Paul McCartney has announced the May 18 reissue of four albums — Wings Greatest (1978), Chaos And Creation In the Backyard (2005) and New (2013), as well as the 1977 Thrillington album, a Muzak version of 1971’s Ram. McCartney supervised the the packages, which will come out on CD and colored vinyl LPs. None will feature bonus tracks, however.
* Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic has voiced a desire to start a band with Chuck D of Public Enemy and Doors drummer John Densmore in an interview with The Young Turks. No formal plans have been made for the endeavor, however.
* Buell Neidlinger, who played double-bass and cello on recordings by Cecil Taylor, Jean-Luc Ponty, Leo Kottke, Barbra Streisand and others, passed away from a heart attack on March 16 at the age of 83.
* blink-182’s Mark Hoppus has appeared in a clip for College Humor, urging attendees at a faux bass convention to “stop looking so bored onstage when we play.” Hoppus displays photo of the Who’s stoic John Entwistle to illustrate his point, while praising the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Flea and Primus’ Les Claypool as exceptions.
* The Moody Blues’ John Lodge will be the special guest for Yes’ 2019 Cruise To The Edge, which sets sale Feb. 4 from Tampa.
* 10CC co-founder Graham Gouldman will make his debut with Ringo Starr’s All-Starr Band, replacing Richard Page, on June 2 in Atlantic City. The group will be touring Europe during the summer before returning to the U.S. on Sept. 1 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
* Michael Anthony will rejoin the all-star Chickenfoot for a one-off performance at the fifth annual Acoustic-4-A-Cure benefit on May 15 at the Fillmore in San Francisco. The group has been mostly dormant since 2011 due to the members’ other commitments, and Anthony plays regularly with Chickenfoot frontman Sammy Hagar.
* Gene Simmons has announced that original Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley will join him and his band for shows during August and September in Australia.
Mark Hoppus Song Helps Dogs Impacted By Harvey
Krist Novoselic’s New Band Releases “Sasquatch”
John Lodge Is Cruisin’