Tony Levin calls Official Bootleg: Live in Chicago “one of our best”
By David Sands
Oct. 13, 2017
Hold onto your seats King Crimson fans, we’ve got some great news: the prog rock masters have two releases on the way, a new live album and a boxed set of material from their 1970 – 1972 era.
King Crimson’s Official Bootleg: Live in Chicago, June 28th, 2017 comes out today (Oct. 13). It documents a recent Radical Action tour concert at the Windy City’s Chicago Theatre, which Tony Levin has called “one of our best.” (SEE TRACKLIST BELOW.)
“King Crimson is a band that’s best experienced live & if you can’t be there, the live album is the next best thing,” reads a statement from King Crimson. “Those fortunate to have recently witnessed the band live will surely want to also own this new live release.”
The lineup for Live in Chicago consists of Mel Collins (saxes and flute), Robert Fripp (guitar and keyboards), Gavin Harrison (drums), Jakko Jakszyk (guitar and vocals), Tony Levin (Basses, Chapman stick, vocals), Pat Mastelotto ( drums, Bill Rieflin (keyboards) and Jeremy Stacey (drums and keyboards). The album features a bunch of iconic King Crimson songs, including first ever live performances of “Islands,” “The Lizard Suite,” “The Errors,” “Fallen Angel,” and “Cirkus.”
The 2-CD King Crimson Collectors’ Club special edition live album package comes with a 24-page booklet featuring photographs by Tony Levin, introductory notes by Robert Fripp and photos/production notes by the group’s producer and manager David Singleton.
The band is also releasing the 27-disc limited edition box set Sailors’ Tales (1970 – 1972).
Documenting the time following the release of their acclaimed album In The Court Of The Crimson King and before their 1973 invention, the box set chronicles a fertile period of the band’s history that includes The Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard and Islands, album’s King Crimson is now choosing to emphasize in its live performances.
The box set comes as a 21-CD/4-Blu-Ray/2-DVD package (all audio) and features:
• 3CDs feature Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp stereo mixes of In The Wake Of Poseidon (1970), Lizard (1970) & Islands (1971) + additional tracks.
• 6CDs feature the Islands line-ups early concerts from Germany (new to CD) & the UK (1971).
• 9CDs feature live recordings (several new to CD and/or previously unreleased in any format) from the 1972 US tour, including a new stereo mix of Summit Studios & an expanded Earthbound.
• 3CDs feature auditions for the Islands band & two further, as yet, unidentified concerts from 1972 (all previously unreleased)
• 3 Blu-Ray discs contain the main studio albums in 5.1 Surround Sound & recent stereo editions mixed by Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp + 30th anniversary masters of the original stereo albums mixes (all in 24/96 hi-res), plus extensive additional material with each disc also featuring a complete alternate album + a further selection of additional, related studio/live material in hi-res.
• Lizard Blu-Ray: also contains the audition material from CDs 19/20
• Islands Blu-Ray: also contains the following concerts in stereo Zoom Club (4 shows), Marquee Club, Plymouth, Glasgow, Detroit all from 1971.
• Earthbound Tour: Blu-Ray features an expanded version of the original album, Summit Studios gig in Stereo & Quadraphonic (newly mixed), the Schizoid Men sequence from the Ladies of the Road album, 2 newly discovered concerts in hi-res stereo & every existing soundboard concert recording from the 1972 US tour: Wilmington, NYC (2 shows), Chicago (2 tracks only), Detroit, Jacksonville, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Peoria, Indianapolis & Denver (2 shows).
• 2 DVDs feature the expanded Earthbound, Summit Studios, Schizoid Men, New York 1972 & the recently discovered live concerts.
• 12” box with booklet, memorabilia, a further downloadable concert, new sleeve-notes by Sid Smith, Jakko Jakszyk & David Singleton.
Sailor’s Tales is slated to come out in early 2018 and is available for preorder now via schizoidshop.com.
King Crimson will be touring the U.S. this fall, beginning with an Oct. 19 show in Austin, Texas.
Official Bootleg: Live in Chicago, June 28th, 2017 tracklist
Intro: Scape Bells
Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, Part One
The Lizard Suite:
a) Dawn Song
b) Last Skirmish
c) Prince Rupert’s Lament
Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, Part Two
Pictures of a City
The ConstruKction of Light
Radical Action II
21st Century Schizoid Man
John Wetton of Asia, King Crimson dead at 67
King Crimson To Release Thrak Box
FBPO interview with Tony Levin