LEARN BASS ONLINE
You'll be grooving from your very first lesson, while avoiding the high cost of a private teacher. And you can do it all right from home!
A Behind-The-Scenes Look at FBPO
WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SCENARIOS BEST DESCRIBES YOU?
Regardless of your level, it's almost impossible to know who you can trust when it comes to finding high quality, affordable bass instruction. Let our critically acclaimed courses -- endorsed by some of the biggest names in the worldwide bass community -- and countless testimonials from our members, set your mind at ease, right from the beginning!
The FBPO curriculum is organized by world-renowned bassist Jon Liebman, who's helped over 125,000 bass players improve their playing
At FBPO, we won’t “throw” it at you all at once. Our courses are carefully designed so you can grasp the fundamentals of each lesson, then progress, gradually, as you improve your bass playing abilities.
Our lessons follow our own unique format to help you learn quickly and efficiently.
In addition to our meticulous video demonstrations in each lesson, we’ve also included a looping audio track, with backing tracks to accompany every portion of the lesson. That way you can practice whatever you need, as many times as you need, until you’ve got it down!
Your job as a bass player is to lay down the groove and make the music feel good. With our courses, you’ll be grooving from your very first lesson!
HERE'S WHAT SOME OF OUR MEMBERS ARE SAYING:
MOVE AT YOUR OWN PACE
“I highly recommend Jon’s online bass lessons, regardless of your level. All lessons are thoroughly explained and slowed down. Exercises start simple and gradually increase as you go. The good thing is that the backing track is similar throughout the exercise so you can decide for yourself when you are ready to move on to next part of exercise.”
- Øystein D. (Norway)
QUICK AND SEAMLESS. AMAZING!
“I have been both a fan and online student of Mr. Jon Liebman for some time now. One would be very hard pressed to find any other method of training/teaching online to enable a serious-minded individual to quickly and seamlessly learn how to play the bass guitar. If one follows and takes the time to master Mr. Liebman’s instruction with his amazing online course, the sky will be the limit in your talent, hands down.”
- David D. (New Jersey)
I FEEL LIKE A PRIVATE STUDENT
“In the sea of online bass lessons, Jon’s website stands out as one of the best, and his open accessibility makes one feel like a private student. These lessons are great for practice, and while they require work and effort, they also are fun.”
- Bob C. (Canada)
Join FBPO with a 15-day trial membership. If you don't love our lessons and courses, or if you don't think we're a good match to help you become a better bass player, just cancel and you won't be charged anything. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed!
There's so much "stuff" online. Why should I choose FBPO for learning bass?
We’re glad you asked! Several distinctive qualities make FBPO a one-of-a-kind resource for learning bass:
- First, each lesson is demonstrated, first at full tempo, along with the band. That way you can see – and hear – exactly how it’s supposed to go.
- Then, the whole lesson is played again, this time slowly, just bass and drums, with close-up shots of the instructor hands so you get a solid grasp of each lesson’s objective.
- After that, the instructor backs out completely, leaving only guitar and drums, clearing the way for you to fill in the bass parts. The key benefit here is your ability to play any part of the lesson you want – the easy parts, the more challenging stuff. Maybe you’ll even come up with some stuff of your own!
- Generally, each lesson has several examples, starting out pretty simple, then gradually becoming more challenging. The really cool part is that the backing tracks for each lesson will work for every example in that lesson. That way, you can play whichever examples are best suited for your current level, all the while aspiring to move up to the difficult passages. This is perhaps our most popular feature!
- But wait – it gets even better! Each lesson also has a looping audio track so you can practice your technique, grooving, soloing, whatever!, over and over for as long as you want.
- Another big plus is that while you’re grooving along in any of a number of styles like Jazz & Blues, Rock & Metal, Funk/R&B, Slapping and so much more, you may not even notice how we’ve “slipped in” things like scale passages, arpeggios, chromatic runs and other key elements to build your overall mastery of the instrument. Think of it has having fun while you’re getting good, and getting good while you’re having fun!
- While the instructor is demonstrating the lesson, the music is right there at the bottom of the screen for you to follow along.
- Wanna practice away from you computer? No problem! You can print off a PDF of every lesson.
I'm a beginner. Is that okay?
Absolutely! While some of the courses can get rather advanced, others are actually quite simple. Keep in mind that most of the bass lines you’ll be called upon to play in the “real world” are simple. In your case, you’ll probably want to start with the Beginners and Easycategories. In addition, the “Bassics” category incorporates many of the fundamentals of bass playing and overall fingerboard mastery into some simple grooves we think you’ll enjoy playing. Each video includes demonstrations at both fast and slow tempos, giving you a chance to “nail” each piece while progressing at your own speed.
My sight reading's not so hot. Is that a problem?
We can help you there too! This series includes a well-organized Sight Reading course that will take you through the process, step-by-step. In addition, all FBPO lessons will be enormously helpful in getting your reading together. For one, you’ll see each example demonstrated, first at full tempo, then slowly, so you can hear exactly what it’s supposed to sound like. Every selection includes not only standard music notation, but tablature (TAB) as well, giving you a head-start toward getting those notes under your fingers.
We recommend you wean yourself away from the TAB as quickly as possible, though, learning to read actual music notes. It will increase your level of professionalism immeasurably.
I want to learn upright bass. Do you have anything for me?
You bet! In addition to an entire course devoted 100% to upright bass, you’ll find lots of other lessons perfectly suited to the upright, including several in the Jazz & Blues and Building Bass Lines categories.
The material here is incredibly comprehensive. There are so many courses. How do I know where to begin?
Again, we’re here to help. You can start by telling us your bass-playing goals and we’ll help guide you through the process. Or, if you prefer, you can just jump in to one category at a time, depending on what you’re feeling on any particular day.
Do you ever add any new lessons?
We sure do! While there are already tons of lessons to keep you plenty busy, we’re continually adding new lessons and courses all the time, covering all kinds of bass techniques, styles, genres, grooves, etc. As a member, we’ll keep you updated with all the latest info about our new lessons and features. A lot of our lessons are developed from requests we get from our members, so be sure to let us know what else you’d like to see on FBPO!
What if I have questions, or need help with something?
You can always reach out to us via the CONTACT link on this site. We promise to respond! Much of the time, you’ll actually hear back from Jon himself.
"Jon is a knowledgeable cat that has put together a great site for learning bass skills. Good work, man!"
"The videos in Jon Liebman’s new website are a great gift to us all."
B.B. King, Aretha Franklin
Jon is a great bassist and continues to provide the bass community with great tools for all styles of playing.
Pat Metheny, Sting
"Jon Liebman is one of the foremost authorities in the world of online bass teaching and learning."
WDF Big Band
"Jon has his finger on the pulse of the 21st century bass world and his books and videos are right on. Great stuff from a great teacher!"
Mike Stern, Carly Simon
"Jon Liebman is an indispensable conduit to us bassists around the globe, keeping the bass community vibrant and inspired!"
David Letterman, The Fab Faux
The monthly membership is a great way to get started! Here you can try out all our bass lessons and courses on a one-month-at-a-time basis.
With all the same great benefits as the monthly plan plan, the 6-month membership is even more economical, saving you 10%!
This, our most popular plan, gives you a whole year of unlimited access to all our lessons and courses, including two whole months for free!
Note: The free 15-day trial membership is intended for new, first-time members only. Returning members may be immediately charged upon re-joining. All memberships automatically renew at the end of their respective cycles, unless cancelled.